Sunday, 6 October 2013

ADDIE's model

New strategies for teaching

I want to teach using podcasts and facebook. The two identified tools can be useful to students.  I chose the two tools because they can be easily accessed by students. currently the training centre does not have WIFI to accommodate all students to use internet in the resource centre.  Internet can only be accessed in the Digital Conference room, which students can be invited to come for DVC session. I also chose facebook because most of the students are using facebook on their cellphones. These tools will be used as tutorials during my absence and when committed with meetings at workplace.

Aim: to introduce elearning at the centre and able to use resources which are available to enhance teaching and learning.


Challenges: how to use the podcast in teaching; some students may not have enough credit to access internet on their phones and that they are not allowed to carry or use phones when they are in clinical environments.

Action: I have to introduce the idea to the head of the training centre and promote the intergration of elearning in our teaching strategies. I have to acquaint myself to the use of podcasts, so that I may able to create a better teaching of students. Students will be encouraged to use their phones at their own time. I trust that it will help the students learn better. Cooperative learning will also be enhanced, since some of them are challenged with IT like me.

9 comments:

  1. Hi Pauline, it sounds as if you are aiming at a blended teaching approach where you combine lectures/classroom teaching with e-learning. And I think it is wonderful that you intend to have the students use their mobile phones. Do you have specific subjects in mind and how to you intend to employ Facebook? I presume you will create a specific Facebook page for a particular student group(s). What specific teaching method will you employ? I would be interested to know more of your plans.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Marina,yes I want to integrate the strategies to make my teaching more viable. Methods will be group discussions on their facebook. I will use it as a tutorial for anything related to the content. I have realised that when the students are placed in clincal environment, forget their books. so, I want to engage them by linking theory to practice. Regarding creating facebook page, I 'll need assistance from mentors and you. thanks for your comment.

      Delete
    2. Great idea to focus on linking theory to practice. Lots of possibilities with FB and the podcasts. I see JP has already given you some references regarding FB Group setup. Good luck!

      Delete
    3. Thanks Marina for your comments. If I may ask, do you know any tool in mind that can better facilitate learning?

      Delete
  2. Hi Pauline, so glad you are up and blogging!

    Podcasts and Facebook, can be a powerful combination. I think there are a lot of open ended questions though. Understanding the role of the training centre, how you plan to make the podcasts, how you will publish them, how you will link to Facebook and if your plan to assess or track students' participation?

    A quick search on "How to create a Facebook page" came up with: http://mashable.com/2011/05/22/how-to-facebook-page/ and a search on how to create a Facebook group I found: http://www.wikihow.com/Create-a-New-Facebook-Group

    You may want to also search some YouTube videos on how to do it.

    Do you have a plan to involve some of the students in your design plan? At least get some feedback from a couple of students on the idea and even how they would approach it.

    Looking forward to seeing the development of your idea! Will we get a sampling of your podcast?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Bosman

      Thanks for your inputs. I will consider these questions in my design stage. I will ask students and hear what they know and need. IT is a huddle for me, podcast is a new tool which I need to acquaint with. I tried to listen to youtube video, but it seems I need time to practice before I publish.
      Do you know any link that help with podcast..?

      Delete
  3. Hi Pauline,

    Here is an article I found about the use of social media in teaching:

    http://www.educause.edu/ero/article/overcoming-hurdles-social-media-education

    They don't mention FB but I'd like to offer some insights, because I have my own gynae FB page.

    1. Do you have a very clear idea of the intended outcomes of your plan? Why would you want to use FB, apart from that it is popular with students?

    2. Do you have a clear idea of exactly how you intend to use FB? I tried putting up case scenarios for students to offer ideas on, and none of them did!! JP's point here is critical- you have to do a needs analysis with the students- how do they think you could use the page? You would also have to pilot it first. My page is still very much active, but it's more for fun stuff- students post funny videos and jokes, and I take pics of them and out them up- but I doubt that they are using the disease albums I spent hours doing...

    3.Related to the above- to be sure they are going to use it, you would have to make it a course requirement. I promise they won't all use it of their own accord. If it is a requirement, who will monitor that they are all taking part?

    4. Some students don't actually use FB. And some might not want you to be able to see their personal profiles ( though I'm not sure that you can with a page- I made the mistake of creating a profile, which students have to 'friend').

    5. What about security? Unless you take specific measures, comments will be open to the whole world to see...

    These are all things that I learned the hard way!!

    Good luck with your endeavor...


    ReplyDelete
  4. PS you would need a FB fan page- not a FB profile- I did a profile, which was the wrong choice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Chivaugn

      Yes, I could use facebook page as suggested by JP. Un fortunately majority of the students are not signed in. FBis is a good tool when you limit access by putting security. only members are allowed. thanks for your input and sharing your experience.

      Delete