Introduction
E-learning is a strategy which aids to the traditional methods of learning and teaching. it is useful in any course any time. However, in remote areas with limited resources and lack of internet access , it becomes a hurdle to learners and teachers. the training centre have one room , which has internet, used for DVC session. The resource centre (library) does not have internet which the students could easily access.
Needs Assessment and analysis
I assessed the needs by asking students questions about facebook usage in teaching and learning. The questions were as follows: 1: how many have access are on facebook? 2: how many have cellphones with internet?/how many have access to internet? 3: how many knows how to sign in with facebook?
Responses were : out of 58 students, 25 are using facebook, 26 are not using facebook, 7 were absent from class, could not participate; 27 have access to internet, 31 have no access to internet; 26 know how to use facebook. 3 volunteered to teach those who do not know how to use facebook. Majority of the students liked the idea of using facebook as a teaching strategy.
According to above results, It means that quiet a number of students could not access internet which makes it diffcult to use the proposed strategy. The option is to use podcast. this tool is selected for its benefits and availability with the use of the DVC room.
How it can be used: to post lessons, post problem solving quizzes, case studies and feedback from students and teacher, questions and answers
When to use it: during clinical placement when students are away from class. it could be also used when I am attending workshops, conferences or meetings.
Hi Polly,
ReplyDeleteBetter late than never. How is this e-learning project coming along? The idea of a podcast sounded very practical for the circumstances you described. I was curious as to how you wwould apply the ADDIE steps to creating it/them. But now that a significant proportion of your students do not have internet access you have a challenge on your hands as whatever strategy you use must be accessible to all your students. Facebook requires internet access too. I'm watching this space. Don't give up!
Dear Angelina
DeleteI apologise for delayed response. I 've been away for support visit of students in rural placement. ADDIE 's response is not a challenge now. The challenge is internet. I thought of making podcasts using board room which has internet. I shared my project with my supervisor, he assured me that there will be internet in the resource centre(library) for student use.
Pauline
Dear Pauline - what wouuld help you in taking your e-Learning idea forward? You have all the ingredients, now to start the baking process. Try and relate your process of discovery to all the other knowledge you have already gained in this programme. Please think of it as an extension, rather than an add-on. Do not forget to reflect on your experience as this is also important (even though it might be describing a difficult phase). Good luck
ReplyDeleteDear JP
ReplyDeleteThanks for your motivation and support. Yes, indeed, e -learning should be integrated with all other modules. Despite the challenge of internet, I will still proceed with the project. I sold the idea to my supervisor, he welcomed the initiative. He assured me that there will be internet installed by next year. I have full support from my colleagues and students are excited about it.
Hoping to get assistance from by then.
Pauline